Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with heat and temperature, and their relation to energy, work, radiation, and properties of matter. The behaviour of these quantities is governed by the four laws of thermodynamics. It applies to a wide range of fields in engineering, especially chemical engineering and mechanical engineering, and also in fields as complex as meteorology. Thermo-dynamics is the subject of the relation of heat to forces acting between contiguous parts of bodies, and the relation of heat to electrical agency.
By the end of this course, students will be able to understand:-
1. The Importance and working Principles of Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer.
2. Different laws of Thermodynamics and their applications.
3. Identification and description of the energy exchange processes.
4. Entropy with its various applications and usage.
5. Different Power Cycles like Vapour, Gas, etc;
6. How to apply ideal cycle analysis to simple heat engine cycles to estimate thermal efficiency and work as a function of pressures and temperatures at various points in the cycle.