Metallurgy is the science that explores why metals behave the way they do. It explains the properties, behavior, and internal structure of metals. Metallurgy also describes the treatment and processes that allow us to tailor a metal’s properties to a specific application. As a material engineer study of basic metallurgy will help you to develop, design and operate processes that transform raw materials into useful engineering products intended to improve the quality of our lives. The module therefore explains how to extract the metals for industrial practices.
1. The various aspects of physical metallurgy.
2. The structure of different metals and alloys.
3. Derive the atomic packaging factor.
4. Explain the various types of crystallographic orientations.
5. Describe the various types of crystalline defects.
6. Define interstitial elements.
7. Analyse the iron carbon diagram.